β-Carotene is an essential nutrient for all farmed stock. As it is only found in plants and cannot be synthesized by livestock, therefore animals' requirements of this nutrient must be fulfilled by their diet. The natural β-carotene content of forages in animal diets varies, and supplementation is the proven way to make sure that diets consistently supply sufficient β-carotene.
β-Carotene is found in high concentrations in the ovary and plays a direct role in ovarian function. Cows with low β-carotene levels therefore tend to have poor fertility and stand to benefit from supplementation.
Diets based on corn silage and cereal grains contain particularly low levels of β-carotene. It is especially helpful to supplement these with ROVIMIX® β-Carotene, which:
• Increases ovulation rates and heat expression
• Raises progesterone levels, which in turn reduces embryo mortality rates
• Improves embryo quality
Increasing reproductive performance
The result is stronger heat behavior and improved reproductive efficiency. Pregnancy rates have been shown to increase from 11% to 22%, with calving intervals reduced by up to 30 days. Cows whose diets are supplemented with ROVIMIX® β-Carotene also have increased production of fat-corrected milk.
Dairy profits are increased if fertility is improved, because:
• Shorter calving intervals mean higher milk yields and more calf sales
• Replacement costs are lower, as more cows get back in calf
• Semen, labor and veterinary costs are reduced
• Cows complete lactations in better condition
Please, contact us for further information and requestsCONTACT US